Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Justin Blyth



I recently found the work of Justin Blyth which I really, really love. It has this M.I.A. (circa Kala) vibe that I totally dig, as well as a little bit of Podhajsky, which you can never really go wrong with. I love design and art that is all about psychadelia and manipulating shapes or colours to be that, but I also love collage-y work. Geometric shapes are so en vogue lately so I know it's nothing new to be using them, but it doesn't stop work like Blyths from being really good, and really effective, and really visually interesting.

I wish I had more of a hold on manipulating photographs and what not so that I was able to create more work with a basis like this, but I guess it's something you have to have a total eye for which I don't entirely think I do yet.



I think my favourite of his work is this one for Porter Robinson, who I assume is a musician of some description. I love the use of found photographs (in anything) and how it's been manipulated so effectively here without detracting from the pre existing colour scheme and image. It's such an interesting way to create visual stimulation that is powerful but not overpowering.

I really think his typography is a work of art as well, I'm not sure if he designed the typeface himself but it reminds me so much of Neville Brody, who was one of the pioneers of typographic design in terms of creating crazy typefaces that had never really been thought of before.

No comments:

Post a Comment